Monday, March 8, 2010

Will I ever learn?...UGH!

I woke up a bit anxious today. Until now I've had a tremendous peace about my health situation but when I woke up this morning I was just wishing it was Tuesday. Waiting to know stinks. So into my quiet time with God I went and I must admit, not with the best of attitudes.

I started with a Charles Spurgeon devotional called "Morning and Evening." The name of the devotional was TRUST. "It is better to trust in the Lord, than to put confidence in man." Psalm 118:8 Spurgeon: "We have all been tempted to trust the things we can see rather than resting only on the invisible God. We often look to friends and associates for help and counsel and thus ruin the noble simplicity of relying on God. Tonight are you worried about the cares of the day? If so, think about this. You trust Jesus for your salvation. Then why are you troubled? This is a promise: "Cast your burden on the Lord" Psalm 55:22. "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your request be made known to God" Philippians 4:6. You can trust god to handle your present problems. If you cannot trust Him with your present problems, how can you trust Him for your soul's redemption? If you trust Him for your soul's redemption, you can rely on Him for smaller mercies. Isn't God enough to meet all your needs, or His all-sufficiency too little for your needs? Do you want another eye beside the one that sees every secret thing? Is His heart faint? Is His arm weary? If so, seek another god. But if He is infinite, Omnipotent, Faithful,True, and All-wise then why run around looking for another foundation when this one is strong enough to bear all the weight you can ever build on? Christian, do not mix your wine and water, do not blend your gold of faith with the dross of human confidence. Wait only on God and let your expectation be from Him alone. do not covet Jonah's plant but rest in Jonah's God (Jonah 4:6). The sandy foundation of earthly trust is the choice of fools. "The wise man built his house on the rock and the rain descended, the flood came, and the wind blew and beat on the house; and it did not fall for it was founded on the rock" Matthew 7:24-25."

Will I ever learn? What a dope I am. How can I so easily forget these truths at times like this? Why can't I "live out" the righteousness of Christ in more of my day each day? I think it's time I give those Israelites a break. I thought they were some of the stupidest people on earth, EVER! But then I stumble and fall just like them....over and over again. What a mess I am! THANK GOD FOR A GOD WHO LOVES ME AND YOU UNCONDITIONALLY! WHOSE MERCIES ARE SO DEEPLY APPRECIATED BY THOSE OF US WHO ARE SUCH A MESS!

The rest of my day has been Awesome! I wore black today rather than for my 50th tomorrow...ha ha! I hear that 50 is the new 30! Got love that.

BD


1 comment:

  1. Nothing like a good lesson from Spurgeon to drive the Lord's message to you home Brian.
    Keep looking in His eyes. I love it when God reveals His ways through others at just the right time.

    ReplyDelete