Sunday, July 4, 2010

July 4th, 1966

I remember the day so clearly. I was on the porch of our home on 9 Arcade Street in Whitinsville, Massachusetts and lots of people were coming to the house. I kept trying to go in the front door, but no one would let me in and I had no idea why. I kinda made it into a game and when I thought nobody was looking, I'd try an sneak in. I never succeeded and the funny thing was nobody else thought it was funny! Finally, my brother (I think it was Steve?) took me up to the ball field to play catch and not long after that I was taken in a car to my other brothers house to be with my nieces and nephews. Yes, my nieces and nephews. You see I was an uncle the day I was born. Not the most planned baby in the whole wide world, maybe even a mistake, but then again God doesn't make any of those now does he? Mom was 46 and Dad 51 when I was born in a Worcester hospital and my brother Jim was already married with 2 kids and 26 years old. My sister Carol was just a couple years younger than Jim, and my brother Bruce just a couple more after that. Steve was the first mistake (?) and was 14 when I came on the scene.
Well I stayed at my brother Jim's house under the care of his wonderful wife Joanie for a week before my Dad came down. Soon after he arrived he took me up the street for a ride....just me and him. When we reached the fairgrounds he slowed the car down and proceeded to tell me (I was sitting in the back seat) that Mom had died. I WAS SHOCKED! I knew she was sick but I guess at the age of 6 you don't really realize or even think your mom could die. Never in my wildest imagination did I think she was dying! That I would never ever see her again!
After I had a short time to grieve it was back to "normal" life again, never did my Dad and I ever talk about Mom again. But she had left a lasting impression on me, forever! Her greatest gift was that she regular prayed over me. Apparently, 2 years before I was born, a woman by the name of Estell Carter led my Mom to Christ (she also met with my mom regularly to see that she grew in her faith). Obviously my mother knew she was dying of cancer and our time together would be cut short on this earth. I'm sure this must have intensified her prayers for me and that's exactly what I remember about her. She prayed with me everyday. I don't remember one word of any of those prayers, but I have burned into my mind the picture of me kneeling next to her bed as she put her right hand upon my head and PRAYED FOR ME! Could she have given me any better memory? Any better gift? "The prayer of a righteous person has great power...." James 5:16. I am one grateful son who indeed wishes I had more time on this earth with my mom, but knows that in our short time together SHE GAVE TO me something more valuable than any materialistic thing on this earth....SHE GAVE ME HER LOVE AND HER INTENSE PRAYERS....WHAT ELSE COULD I HAVE EVER ASKED FOR!! Thank You Mom.
PS "Mom....I've got good news and bad news....the bad news is I'm the chief sinner of a sports ministry...the good news is I love GOD WITH ALL MY HEART, SOUL, STRENGTH and MIND.........hmmmm....guess you knew that already though huh? Thinking of you on this independence celebration day which I'm so grateful to our troops for -what a privilege to live in a free country! But nothing compares to the freedom I have in Christ. Mom I believe your prayers played a role in that....THANKS!

1 comment:

  1. That just brings me to tears!
    Brian, your Mom would be so very proud of you, and your wonderful family.
    Love you, Dianne

    ReplyDelete